Only a few days ago did I decide to jailbreak my iPod touch 4g on iOS 6.1. No sooner than I had done that, did my iPod go into the state of Eternal Booting. The Apple Logo showed up (as usual) but it would not go away! I tried everything. I did a force restart, put it into DFU Mode, and restored back to the original software but none of those could bring it out of it’s paralysis. I then remembered about hearing something called “Recovery Mode”. I searched the term and found a reference to it, with instructions on how to perform it. My iPod is now working perfectly again and has lost nothing from the crash.
I now feel like I should pass on the knowledge to others, so here is a list of instructions telling you how to reach Recovery Mode.
You can put your iDevice into Recovery Mode if:
- The device continually restarts but doesn’t show the home screen.
- An update or restore did not complete and the device is no longer recognized in iTunes.
- Your device stops responding, showing the Apple logo with no progress bar or a stopped progress bar, for over ten minutes (my problem!)
- Disconnect the USB cable from the computer but leave the other end in the iDevice
- Turn off the device: Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button for a few seconds until the red slider appears, then slide the slider. Wait for the device to turn off (if you get turn it off using the slider, hold the Power and Home buttons together until it turns off).
- While pressing and holding the Home button, reconnect the USB cable to the computer. The device should turn on. Note: If you see the screen pictured below, let the device charge for at least ten minutes to ensure that the battery has some charge, and then start with step 2 again.
- Continue holding the Home button until you see the “Connect to iTunes” screen. When this screen appears you can release the Home button:
- If necessary, open iTunes. You should see the following “recovery mode” alert:
- Use iTunes to restore the device.
I hope you found this article useful if you were in this situation (like me!) and don’t forget to browse the other articles here (you never know what you might find)!